Saturday, July 9, 2016

Repeat offender, scammer alert! Match.com

Davidjohnson100 is his user name. Dave is wearing a military uniform.  It took me a second when his photo came up in my suggested matches to realize that this was a man who I am sure is the same man that I spoke to for a couple of months about a year and a half ago. On a different website.  I have experienced a few lame attempt at scamming, but this is a different kind of scammer. We talked for a couple of months, as I said, and he had an entirely detailed story line about his life ready to go.
He was around my age, had custody of his daughter because her mother was an addict,  he was in Afghanistan but hoped to be home for Christmas.  We messaged most days and as it came closer to Christmas he suddenly blurted out that he couldn't handle the guilt of lying anymore.  That he was in fact a young 27-year-old man living in Africa and extremely lonely. He used a friend's photos and had gone on the website just to talk to women that he knew he would never be able to meet; women of other cultures and women with different lives then he would meet in his small community.  He asked if we could stay friends and I said unfortunately not. Not being a big fan of the two-month time suck.  That said, I felt for him if he was truly lonely. I suggested that he find a website and just be honest about who he was, that there are more than enough people who are happy just to have a penpal of sorts and a texting relationship and he could make friends without putting on this extreme fabrication.

 FlashForward and I saw him in my matches tonight. I'm positive that it is him and he states that he is around my age, divorced with a grown child, and in the military.  I sent him a message that simply said – don't I know you from another website? I hope that I am wrong…

 If I cared enough this would make me question whether his confession was even a true confession, and if it was, I guess he just didn't take my advice and he is trying it again? But it could even be a lie upon another lie and his story may be more complicated than that. Whatever it is, he will undoubtedly waste somebody else's time but I'm not sure if I should report him, because I can't prove that it's him. I doubt he will respond, he will probably just block me or disappear.

 And, why do I keep trying?  What is that expression about repeating your actions and expecting different results? Sigh.

 I did have a nice coffee date this week. What happens from there, I'm not sure. Time will tell!

Ever the optimist....

No comments:

Post a Comment