Saturday, March 1, 2014

Andre

Today I thought I might share with you another story of a man who was not honest online.
That's right, not honest online...shocking I know. Andre is Dutch and a widower with two adorable girls. I was able to find him on Facebook which was a nice change from the several men before him who did not use any kind of social media and did not have any information about them on Google at all.  Zero ability to look them up. So Andre seemed very nice , but here we go - he needed to take an overseas trip immediately for his antiques business. This antiques business also could not be found online, but I let it go.

Flash forward a couple of weeks; Andre messages me that he would like to ask me a favor: could he have a few boxes of precious antiques shipped to my apartment? Mind you we had not met yet. And still,  here I was, apparently the only person that he trusted to hold these antiques for him until his return. Just out of curiosity I asked a friend of mine in the business and she said it was probably something illegal like ivory that was not allowed to be shipped into the country. My background a.k.a. growing up in New York in the 60s and 70s made me suspicious about drugs etc. and obviously I turned him down. This previously very nice man suddenly became very irate; texting me to say that I was extremely selfish and obviously did not care about his success or his business at all.

I did not hear from Andre after that... but for fun I looked up his Facebook page a couple of weeks later & it had been taken down. With this kind of man you are left wondering, were the girls in the picture on Facebook even his? Was he in antiques dealer? So many questions, if one really cared enough to worry about it. He was sweet but I did not invest a lot of time, and so I was not terribly crushed.

Also,  having an open FBI case already, I have been told about many of the warning signs such as having boxes shipped to you or asking you to ship things for them... pretty much anything that has to do with the mail is a bad idea !!

Andre was a short but sweet online experience that left me wondering if he was really a widower, if any of his story was true, all of it was true or none of it was true. Of course the sad thing about being hidden behind a computer is that you will never know.

Onward & upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment